also available: Beginner Viola Lessons
"Enharmonic" refers to using different names for the same pitch.
Notice there is no black key between B and C, nor E and F, which means B# and C are the same note (etc.)
Low 1st Finger:
- The "G Major" Scale
- "Day and Shadows" and its Duet
- Suzuki Supplements:
- #12: "Etude"
- #13: "Minuet No. 1"
- #15: "Minute No. 3"
- Remember the G Major Key Signature
- Practice 2 Octaves of the G Major Scale, remembering hand positions
- Practice Playing all 4 songs with good technique!
- Study The Piano Keyboard, Enharmonics, Whole Steps, and Half Steps
Optional ASTACAP Testing
- Scales and Arpeggios: One-octave D Major; Two-octave G Major
- 60 BPM
- Scales in 8th-notes, slurred by pairs
- Half or Whole Bows
- "Two contrasting selections - At least one with 16 or more measures; one showing low 2nd finger"
- Performance Technique:
- Good Posture
- Left-Hand Position; Intonation
- Bow Hold
- Correct Rhythms
- Use of All four fingers and all four strings (including low second finger)
- Half and Whole Bows; Attention to Bow Distribution
- Articulations including Legato, Detache, and Staccato